Thanks for stopping by! We were a family of three, until we added one more (cat, that is), making us a family of four. In 2012, we added four more...one husband, two girls, and a dog. We have a full plate as a party of eight!

Adoption, blended families, pets, school, running...it's all here. Pull up a chair and read a while. After you do, please leave a little comment love! It makes me happy...and y'all know...if Momma is happy, then everyone is happy...at least at our house!

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I Think I Need to Write a Book!

Here it is, my first full day of spring break (I worked a half-day yesterday thanks to snow in February and March) and I spent a good part of it thinking about and working on a lesson plan. I'm going to Gloria's class tomorrow to talk about adoption. She has been experiencing some teasing along the lines of "You're adopted. You're adopted..." this year in that sing-song-y, teasing voice that six year old girls are so good at using. I know that often times, teasing comes about as a result of something seen as "different" or "bad" or just simply confusing or unknown. We've role-played ways she could respond, I've offered suggestions of things she could say, and I have told her that she can always just walk away. However, the teasing has continued. It is upsetting to Gloria because she doesn't understand why someone would tease about someone else's family. So, I'm going in tomorrow to read a book and talk a little bit in general terms about how families can be formed through adoption.

In my preparation, I have searched lists of books in an attempt to find just the right book to read. There are lots of books that have an adoption theme to them or tell a specific adoption story, but none of them were exactly what I was looking for. Many books are specific to one country and most feature a "traditional" family made up of a momma and a daddy. I did not like the way in which several authors referred to the birthmother--one simply referred to her as "that lady in ______. (insert country name)" WHAT?!?

Fortunately, I've come up with an approach that I think will work tomorrow. I've run it by Gloria and she seems satisfied too. I am trying to keep it general and about adoption, not focused on Gloria's adoption story as that is hers to share when/as she feels like it.

And now...I've always said I would like to write a book some day. I think I might have found the "seed" from which my book might "grow."

2 comments:

brenna said...

You can publish your book with my husband's publishing company.
www.missional-press.com

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to write a children's book and have tried a couple of times, but it is harder than one might think. I have a couple of books on how to write and publish children's books. I can send you the names if you would like. You write well and would do a great job on it. Go for it.- Martha