Thanks for stopping by! We were a family of three, until we added one more (cat, that is), making us a family of four. In 2012, we added four more...one husband, two girls, and a dog. We have a full plate as a party of eight!

Adoption, blended families, pets, school, running...it's all here. Pull up a chair and read a while. After you do, please leave a little comment love! It makes me happy...and y'all know...if Momma is happy, then everyone is happy...at least at our house!

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Don't Ever Step on a Rock!

So...Tuesday morning I was headed back to my car after dropping Gloria at before-school care so I could fly to school. On my way to the car, I think I stepped on a rock that was on the ground. My ankle did one of those turn and roll kind of things, I heard a pop, and there was instant tingling pain from the tips of my toes to the back of my knee. I was only three steps from the car, and I just didn't have time to stop and think. My mornings are so tight since I have to be at work before 7:00 and it is a 27 minute drive and I can't drop Gloria until 6:30 when the child care opens... It was only after I was in the car and headed up the road that I had time to process the pain and begin to wonder/panic about what to do.

I went on to school and made it through the day. Actually, it got to where it didn't hurt that much to walk, but turning my ankle hurt...a lot. I finally asked the school nurse to look at it at the end of the day. She told me it was swollen and that I should go have it looked at. Ugh...not what I wanted to hear. Maybe "put some ice on it and see how it is tomorrow" would have been better. I don't know. It had been a pretty rotten day already.

Now, on Tuesdays, Gloria likes to go to a kids class at the Y. And one of her best friends is in the class...it's the only time they see each other. So, I did what any good mom would do...I picked her up at school and headed to the Y. My foot wasn't hurting too much so I figured I would exercise for the 45 minutes she was in her class and see how I felt after that. Bad idea...right? Right. It took me less than 10 minutes on the elliptical trainer to realize that. So I gave up and just waited until her class was over before heading to the urgent care.

Fortunately, there was no wait. They x-rayed my foot and then the doctor came it. No break. Good. Either a bad sprain or something is torn. Boo! Stay off if as much as possible for two weeks. Yeah, right...I'm a teacher...in an elementary school...with 20 second graders...I can't stay off my feet! And can I just say how much I hate crutches?!?!?! Although I'm coming up with a list of other good uses for them besides walking. That could be interesting.

For now, I'm using my rolling chair from my classroom to get around school. I mostly stay close to my room, but the cafeteria is a long, long, long way away. The crutches about did me in yesterday. Today, I let my students push me in the rolling chair. That was frightening! But they enjoyed it. Glad tomorrow is Friday and next week is a short week!

1 comment:

Sandra Lane Church said...

Oh, Merrill! So sorry about your ankle! I hate crutches and the last time I was on them, my arms were so sore I didn't even notice my sore ankle any more! Feel better QUICKLY! Making a trip out of town for T'giving?
I don't comment much, but check in a couple of times a week - I enjoy seeing what you and Gloria are up to! Sandra