Thanks for stopping by! We were a family of three, until we added one more (cat, that is), making us a family of four. In 2012, we added four more...one husband, two girls, and a dog. We have a full plate as a party of eight!

Adoption, blended families, pets, school, running...it's all here. Pull up a chair and read a while. After you do, please leave a little comment love! It makes me happy...and y'all know...if Momma is happy, then everyone is happy...at least at our house!

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

November: Adoption Awareness Month

It's November again.  I might have mentioned that in my last post.  ;)

That means it is Adoption Awareness Month again.

I could write about adopting Gloria and how this tiny little thing...

has grown into this 7.5 year old...


who is full of life and laughter and love.

But I've done that.  And continue to do that.

I could write about how adoption has changed me as a person.

But I've done that.

I could write about how I love my sweet daughter so much it hurts.  And how, as happy as she makes me and as much as I love her, my heart breaks for her birth mother.

But I've done that too.

Did you know that there are 147,000,000 orphans in our world???  One hundred forty seven million.  MILLION.  That number is staggering to me.  That's my school system 980 times.  That's the population of my state times almost 16.  That's more than one third of the population of our country.  That's a lot of orphans.  Like I said...staggering, mind blowing, sobering.

So what is one to do?  Adoption is one answer.  But what about sponsoring a child--so that child can receive nutritious food, needed vitamins and medical attention, or education?  What about advocating for those who can't advocate for themselves?  Be the voice that gets heard.  Or maybe make a donation to someone's adoption fund.  Adoption is so expensive.  There are many families who desire to adopt, and can manage the day to day expenses.  But the adoption fees can be prohibitive.  I know that, along with changing policies regarding single-parent adoption, stands in my way.  What can I do?

Gloria asked me the other day if we could adopt a baby from a specific country.  Stopped me cold in my tracks.  What can I do?  I'm hoping I can find an answer.

What can you do?

What can we all do together?

No comments: