Thanks for stopping by! We were a family of three, until we added one more (cat, that is), making us a family of four. In 2012, we added four more...one husband, two girls, and a dog. We have a full plate as a party of eight!

Adoption, blended families, pets, school, running...it's all here. Pull up a chair and read a while. After you do, please leave a little comment love! It makes me happy...and y'all know...if Momma is happy, then everyone is happy...at least at our house!

Friday, January 28, 2011

25 Years Ago

Where were you 25 years ago today?  The day that the Space Shuttle Challenger lifted off into that clear blue Florida sky only to burst into a ball of smoke and flames 78 seconds later.

I remember that so clearly.  It still sends chills down my spine.  I think about it every once in a while but sure didn't realize it had been 25 years until I was greeted with a replay of that tragedy first thing when I turned on the news this morning.  Gloria looked at it and said "Whoa!  What happened?"  She didn't realize that it wasn't happening right then or even yesterday.

I remember being at school.  I was a sophomore in high school.  It was lunch time, almost time for fifth period to begin.  Some of us had gone outside to wait for the bell.  A few of us were watching the sky, knowing that the shuttle was about to take off.  You could see it, once it got up into the air, from where we were in Central Florida.  We saw it and then we saw the cloud of smoke.  Someone joked that maybe the shuttle had just blown up.  But it was a joke, right?  That couldn't really happen.  Just a joke.  A horrible, tasteless one, in hindsight...  We went to fifth period (for me it was Mrs. Ostman's English class) and a few minutes later there was an announcement made about what had just occurred (and some of us had witnessed) and a moment of silence.  For the rest of fifth, sixth, and seventh periods we sat watching the television broadcast.  I'm not sure a high school has ever been so silent.

I do think about it every once in a while.  There was a teacher on board Challenger.  Flying into space so that she could share that experience and passion with her students back home.  Leaving her family behind for this mission.  Sure she would return.  After all, all the other shuttle missions had been successful.  Who ever even thought this could happen???  And then I ask myself if I have that same kind of passion, as well as courage, when it comes to my class, my students, my vocation.  Some days, the answer might be yes, but other days I certainly choose to play it safe.

Those images of 25 years ago are seared in my memory.  Seeing them again this morning on the television brought it all back to the forefront of my mind.

Where were you 25 years ago today?  What were you doing when you heard about or saw Challenger enter into history and our collective memories?

1 comment:

Brenna said...

I remember, too, and I was in the same place you were at that time. 10th grade English class. I, too, remember thinking it couldn't possibly be for real that the Challenger exploded.
My dad used to watch from the roof of his office building in downtown Winter Haven. He and his co-workers couldn't believe what they were seeing.
My mom was probably subbing that day at one of the Auburndale elementary schools and had her class watching the big event.
It is amazing that it has been 25 years. I blogged this morning about remembering US historical events and re-telling them to students today. The Challenger accident is to students today like the JFK assassination is to our age.