Thanks for stopping by! We were a family of three, until we added one more (cat, that is), making us a family of four. In 2012, we added four more...one husband, two girls, and a dog. We have a full plate as a party of eight!

Adoption, blended families, pets, school, running...it's all here. Pull up a chair and read a while. After you do, please leave a little comment love! It makes me happy...and y'all know...if Momma is happy, then everyone is happy...at least at our house!

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Will the Balance Explode?

There are decisions being made next week by my school system that could dramatically impact the crazily delicate balance I have worked so hard to create in our day.  Well, balance isn't really the right word...but it's the best one I can think of right now.  Everything has to go off like clockwork for our day to work in terms of morning drop off, arrival at work, leaving work, and picking up at carpool at Gloria's school.  If the school board votes the way I believe they will next Tuesday, my instructional day will increase by 45 minutes and that balance will explode.

Allow me to digress for a moment...

Now, professionally speaking, I cannot argue with 45 more minutes of instructional time.  What could I do with that, you ask?  Hmmm....maybe teach science and social studies more in depth.  Maybe have a longer writer's workshop.  Maybe not feel bad when I stop to do a poetry/song break (which works on fluency, phonics, and a whole bunch of other "brain stuff" depending on what I throw into the mix).  Maybe not feel so rushed through every lesson.  Maybe more projects like our recent "Flat Stanley" project that took us nearly 6 weeks to complete.  (OK...so Christmas vacation and 3 snow days were thrown in there, but still it took us W-A-Y too long to complete those and get them in the mail TODAY!!!  :} )  Gosh, the possibilities seem endless.  But we'll probably be told how to use those 45 new minutes.  A girl can dream though, right?

Back to my topic now...

Yes, an 8:00 tardy bell for my students would mean I would probably have to be at school by 7:15, which would leave me time to catch my breath in the morning and possibly not panic when we leave the house at 6:18 instead of 6:15.  Right now, I have to be at school at 6:50--physically impossible for me since the before school care for Gloria doesn't open until 6:30 and then I have a 26 minute drive.  Fortunately, my principal allows this.  However, a 3:00 dismissal won't work for me in the afternoon.  Gloria is out at 3:10. No big deal, you say...just let her go to after school care.  Therein lies the problem.  I plain cannot afford to do that.  I already have before school care and her tuition to pay.  What's the old saying...can't squeeze blood from a turnip?  Yeah, that pretty much sums it up here.  :(

So if this happens--I should probably say when instead of if--I have to figure out a new school situation for Gloria.  She knows this and is very worried.  Her two reasons for loving her school were her teachers and her friends, in that order.  What kid ranks her teachers before her friends when thinking about changing schools?!?!  Mine, that's which one.  And she talked way more about her teachers.  The conversation came up again yesterday and I told her we really couldn't do anything about it except to pray.  Of course I kept talking, but realized quickly that it was suddenly very quiet in the back seat of my car.  I glanced in the rearview mirror to see Gloria with her head down, her eyes screwed tightly shut, and her precious little hands clasped in front of her face.  Yeah, I stopped talking then and just let her be.

I would love to pray selfishly in this situation--that the bell schedule NOT be changed--but I can't do that.  I can only pray that the right decisions be made by all in charge of the decisions for all who will be impacted by these decisions be they bell schedules, schools of choice, budget cuts, financial decisions, job changes, whatever needs to happen, just let it be the right thing....

3 comments:

Kathy said...

El too would be in deep distress if she thought she had to leave her beloved school. Praying with you that all will work out accordingly. Above all praying that whatever happens you both can find peace in the midst of changes and challenges.

Marti said...

How much does after school care & before school care cost these days? We will be praying along with you.

In regards to the cat eating your chicken, what was the outcome? Did you eat the chicken or go out to eat?

Merrill said...

Before school care is $50/week at the center where she goes. She's only there about an hour each day and they take her to school. After school care at her school was $350/month when she was in K. Don't know what it is now--we haven't needed it for first or second grade, except on a drop-in basis about 3 times a month and it is $12/hour.

As for the chicken...as much as I hate to admit it, we just scraped the breading off the top and ate it. All he did was lick it a little. I just couldn't bear to throw it away and there's no eating out for the rest of this month!