Thanks for stopping by! We were a family of three, until we added one more (cat, that is), making us a family of four. In 2012, we added four more...one husband, two girls, and a dog. We have a full plate as a party of eight!

Adoption, blended families, pets, school, running...it's all here. Pull up a chair and read a while. After you do, please leave a little comment love! It makes me happy...and y'all know...if Momma is happy, then everyone is happy...at least at our house!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Gotta' Make a Change

I did something this morning that I have been avoiding for a while...I stepped on the scale.

Ugh.

It wasn't pretty.

My number one excuse is that I have only been to the Y twice this month.  They are doing some renovations and the "kid fit" room where Gloria likes to go is closed until mid-July.  She can go to "The Zone" but she h-a-t-e-s it in there.  They have some video gaming systems, and she's not interested in those.  Plus, it's mostly older kids in there who ignore her.  Believe me, we've tried.  She enjoys the kid fit area because they have some child-sized fitness machines (her favorite is the treadmill!) as well as other fun fitness activities to do.  She usually ends up jumping rope or playing a game with a few other girls who are there at the same time.  I guess I gave in to the struggle of getting her to The Zone and just didn't go at all.

But that's just an excuse.  

So, I'm making a change.  I'm headed back to the Y, at least three times a week (hopefully more).  I intend to make an appointment with a trainer to set up some kind of new routine.  It will be easy for the next few weeks because Gloria will be gone.  By the time she is back, the renovations at the Y should be about finished and the kid fit room should be open again.  

Other changes:

I'm not buying soda any more.  I only drink one Coke a day, and lots of water.  I've cut out the Cokes before and had pretty good results.  Today was the first day for that, only because I ran out of them over the weekend and didn't buy any more.  Yes, I have the headache from not having my daily dose of caffeine, but that will go away.

I also need to increase the number of fruits and veggies I eat, and cut down on the junk food.  Oh, how I love my junk food!  I prefer to snack throughout the day instead of eating full meals.  And lately, most vegetables just don't appeal to me.  I fix them, put them on our plates for dinner, Gloria gobbles hers up, and I leave mine on my plate.  This is true for lunches too.  I'm really good about packing healthy lunches for Gloria.  My lunch box, on the other hand, is a hodge-podge of what ever I feel like throwing in there!

So, to recap (for myself more than anything else):
  1. Get back to the Y!
  2. Cut out the Cokes.
  3. Decrease the junk food and increase the healthy snacks.
Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Brenna said...

Go to www.myfitnesspal.com and set up an account. Free, I think. My husband has done this. It tracks and calculates your food and calories.

Kait said...

I need to get back in to the gym too. I don't know how I got out of the habit of it - I skipped one day and it was all downhill from there.

Regarding your comment - there are TONS of black bean recipes out there, like you said. A personal favorite of mine came from the blog C Jane Enjoy It. If you google C Jane black bean burgers, the recipe will come up in a blog post of hers. Don't be worried about substituting things. Basically, if you mash up the black beans, have some sort of flavoring and some sort of binder, you'll be in a good shape! Also, Morningstar has some black bean burgers (they're labeled as spicy but they really aren't) in the freezer section at the grocery store. They're usually sold in 4 packs and we love them, even the kids.

Martha said...

Yeah...I know all about the ugly scales...I started back to WW...and am enjoying the WW app on my phone. It's actually easier to track my points and activity...and I've been trying to walk 3 miles several times a week..wish I could get up to running...something to work towards.