Thanks for stopping by! We were a family of three, until we added one more (cat, that is), making us a family of four. In 2012, we added four more...one husband, two girls, and a dog. We have a full plate as a party of eight!

Adoption, blended families, pets, school, running...it's all here. Pull up a chair and read a while. After you do, please leave a little comment love! It makes me happy...and y'all know...if Momma is happy, then everyone is happy...at least at our house!

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Peaceful Evenings

After last week's dramatic melt-downs and temper tantrums, I had to find a way to regain some type of peace around here.  Even though the drama occurred on Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday, it was Sunday in the car on the way to church before we could talk calmly about consequences.  Until then, all Gloria knew was that there would be consequences.  And that I needed time to think of them.  For her, that's never a good sign.

The problem?
Nothing much phases her.
No TV?
No problem.  She'll read a book.
No DS?
No problem.  She'll read a magazine.
No computer time?
No problem.  She'll read anything she can get her hands on.  Even my Usborne Books catalog, looking for more books that she wants to order.  (Anyone want to order books from Usborne???  Just let me know!  I can set you up!  And yes, that was a shameless plug for my new venture. ;) )

When she was little, I would tell her she was not allowed to read any books as a consequence.
And I'm a teacher, y'all.
That was so wrong.
But it worked so well!
That was the worst consequence in the world...
when she was four.
But now that she has to read for homework...
well I can't really take that away, can I?

So here's what I came up with:

  • No TV, DS, computer time, videos--nothing that involves a screen until after school is out next Friday.  It was more the length of time that "hurt" because that includes a couple of Friday nights, and she likes to watch old "Dick Van Dyke" episodes.
  • She has to earn back the privilege of going to see the Broadway touring production of "Beauty and the Beast" while she is at Camp Maggie-Hada. (Really, that's just my parents, but it's more fun to call it Camp Maggie-Hada since she goes without me for a few weeks.)
  • Since she was acting like a three year old, she has a three year old's bedtime until school is out.  7:00 is bedtime.  No stalling, no questions, no complaining.
  • Any whining, complaining, disagreeableness, or other negativity will cost her anywhere from $1 to $3, depending on the severity.  (She HATES letting go of her money!)
And I'm here to tell you that, wow, it has been so calm and peaceful around here this week.  She's trying so hard to earn back her Broadway show and not lose any money.  Plus she's getting an extra hour and then some of sleep, which is always a good thing.  We've spent time reading together, talking, working on some end-of-year school projects.  It's so nice!

No comments: