Thanks for stopping by! We were a family of three, until we added one more (cat, that is), making us a family of four. In 2012, we added four more...one husband, two girls, and a dog. We have a full plate as a party of eight!

Adoption, blended families, pets, school, running...it's all here. Pull up a chair and read a while. After you do, please leave a little comment love! It makes me happy...and y'all know...if Momma is happy, then everyone is happy...at least at our house!

Monday, May 2, 2011

Reflecting on Current Events

I've been thinking a lot today...70 miles of daily driving, most of them alone, gives me lots of time for that...

I'm not sure I can adequately put this into words.

I was listening to something on television and getting ready for bed when news of bin Laden's death was announced.

Now, I do believe the man was horrible.  Awful.  Evil.
He was responsible for horrific attacks on innocent lives that forever changed the fabric of our nation.

However, he was also a man.
Someone's son.
Someone's brother.
Someone's father.
He was a human being.

And as a Christian, I cannot rejoice in the murder of another human being.  I just can't.

And I was very disturbed by the celebrating in the street, cheering the death of this man.

This does not end it.  While it might signal the end of a chapter, it does not close the book.  This does not make it all better.  We are forever changed by the events of September 11th.  This death does not take that away.  It does not bring back all those whose lives were lost, that day or in the war we have been engaged in ever since.  It just adds one more to the death toll.  My fear is it will fuel more hatred, more contempt, more fear, more fighting, more unrest.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy.  Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.  Darkness cannot drive out darkness:  only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate:  only love can do that."  
--MLK

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I agree with you completely. And I recently posted the quote from MLK on my Facebook. I posted a snippet from my blog to facebook earlier and was sent some private messages that were not at all in agreement with how I feel. (How can I be friends with such people?) I'm glad that I've received great, supportive comments.

Keetha Broyles said...

I have been so happy today to find that I am not alone in feeling this way. I too posted about it - - - twice - - - over at my blog with links to several other blogs.

I believe many of us are troubled in just the way you are about not only the manner in which Osama was slaughtered, but also by the celebrations of joy that broke out.

That MLK quote says it all.