Thanks for stopping by! We were a family of three, until we added one more (cat, that is), making us a family of four. In 2012, we added four more...one husband, two girls, and a dog. We have a full plate as a party of eight!

Adoption, blended families, pets, school, running...it's all here. Pull up a chair and read a while. After you do, please leave a little comment love! It makes me happy...and y'all know...if Momma is happy, then everyone is happy...at least at our house!

Monday, July 4, 2011

A Quiet 4th

We had a quiet day at home today after a morning swim at the Y.  That's not a bad thing!  Really!

Because it was the Fourth of July, there were a few things we *had* to cook

Because they are *traditions* for us!

I'm not sure how they became traditions, but I wasn't going to disappoint my girl!

One of those traditions is  "bean quintet."  It's really just baked beans made with five different kinds of beans.  Gloria L-O-V-E-S it and requests it every year.  It is good, but it makes enough for 15-18 servings, according to the recipe.  Translated, that means we will eat it approximately 9 times.  That's a L-O-T of baked beans, no matter how yummy they are.  So, I typically freeze half of it (at least) so we can have them again for Labor Day.

Another tradition is a pan of jello decorated like a flag.  I think Gloria first did this with my mom when she was 2 years old.  And it has continued since then.  Each year, she insists that we make it and each year she does more and more of it herself.  This year, all I did was boil the water and then put the pan in the fridge.  The rest was done without my help.    And, each year, she gets more and more intentional in her decorating.  This year, she made sure there were precisely 50 blueberries (stars) and 13 stripes on top of her red jello base.

I love the concentration in this picture...



"Did you seriously just take my picture AGAIN?!?  MOM-MA!!"


Hope you and your family enjoyed your day.  What did you do to celebrate our country?

6 comments:

Paige said...

Stopping by from Jenna's 2nd annual comment challenge! What a beautiful little girl. Hope you have a great week!

Jen said...

Lovely happy pictures!

The Bost Family said...

What sweet memories you are making with your daughter! I love family traditions that I can do with my daughter! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Mary

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Stopping from Jenna's Journey! We had lunch at my mom's senior center and went out for ice cream.

Jennifer Vanzant said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the comment! So glad I came across yours! Have a great week:-)

The Carters said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Loving the Comment Challenge :)

I also love family traditions! The bean quintet sounds pretty yummy.