Thanks for stopping by! We were a family of three, until we added one more (cat, that is), making us a family of four. In 2012, we added four more...one husband, two girls, and a dog. We have a full plate as a party of eight!

Adoption, blended families, pets, school, running...it's all here. Pull up a chair and read a while. After you do, please leave a little comment love! It makes me happy...and y'all know...if Momma is happy, then everyone is happy...at least at our house!

Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Movie Week-End

Gloria has been so excited to have a rainy week-end.  Because that's about the only time I don't mind if she watches "full length feature films," as we call them.

For most of second grade, she begged and pleaded and asked over and over again if she could read the Harry Potter books.  I held her off for as long as I could.  I knew she could read them--that wasn't the problem.  I just knew she would want to read ALL of them, and I didn't think she was really ready for that.

Sometime in the spring, I *finally* consented to the first book.  To say she devoured it would be an understatement!  I'm pretty sure she read it five times before school was out, and she made a 100% on the AR test, so I knew she was "getting it" (even though I didn't know she was going to take that test).  I had told her she could read the second one over the summer.  Well, she started it on the first Saturday of her summer break and finished it the very next day on the way to Camp Maggie-Hada.

She called me from the library the next afternoon, asking for permission to check out the third book and read it while she was visiting her grandparents.  The ONLY reason I said yes at that point was because she ASKED me first.  She could have very easily played the "but Maggie said I could" card on me, but she didn't.  Points for her...and for my mom.

I've drawn the line in the sand for now, stopping her after book three.  She so desperately wants to read number four.  Oh who am I kidding...she wants to read them ALL.  I just don't think she is ready for them because if memory serves me correctly, the books get darker and scarier as they go on.  Harry, Ron, and Hermione get older and face more mature situations.  But she stares at those books sitting on the bookshelf so longingly...I don't know...should I let her read them?  I feel my resolve weakening, but I just don't know.

Anyway...a friend of mine watched Gloria for me so I could attend a meeting on Thursday morning.  And, she sent her home with the first three movies.  Gloria was over-the-moon thrilled.  We weren't home five minutes before the first one went into the DVD player.  Friday ended up being a rainy day, so she watched the second one.  Tonight, she is watching the third one.  Her plan is to watch her favorite of the three tomorrow before she returns them on Monday.  We'll see.  I'm hoping to get her to the pool and outside a bit after all this rain!

She is watching so intently, and so excited about everything that is happening.  I think the movies follow the books pretty closely.  And, I'm finding out just how well she read those books...she knows EVERY detail.

 **She was not posed for this picture...In fact, she didn't even realize I was taking her picture.  She always holds the box in her lap when she watches a DVD.  She always has.  I don't know why.  But she absolutely must have the box in her hands every time she watches a movie.**

No comments: