Thanks for stopping by! We were a family of three, until we added one more (cat, that is), making us a family of four. In 2012, we added four more...one husband, two girls, and a dog. We have a full plate as a party of eight!

Adoption, blended families, pets, school, running...it's all here. Pull up a chair and read a while. After you do, please leave a little comment love! It makes me happy...and y'all know...if Momma is happy, then everyone is happy...at least at our house!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Another Scare...

This afternoon, I got in my car to head home from school...
Or is it work...
I mean, I do work at a school.
I can never figure out what the right one is for me to use.

Anyway, I was headed home to grab some dinner for Gloria to eat between her school and choir rehearsal. As I was pulling out of the parking lot, I noticed a light on my instrument panel that I didn't recognize.  I immediately went into panic mode.

(There are two things that do that to me...one is any kind of creepy crawly critter in my house that doesn't belong there.  The other is car trouble.  Complete and total panic.  It's awful really.)

Now, my "service required" light came on late last week, as I was anticipating.  It's time for an oil change and tire rotation.  That is on next Monday's list--the best I could do given that this is a concert week for Gloria, which means extra rehearsals and late nights.  But I just didn't know what the new light was.  I was convinced that my engine was going to fall out and explode in the middle of the road, all four tires were flat, or any other awful thing that is followed by "must get to Toyota immediately, how am I going to get Gloria to choir, will I make it to Toyota, thank goodness I am still under warranty...oh wait, am I still under warranty???  Must check odometer...YES!  Still under warranty, but about 4000 miles in my car that is just 14 months old.  Why do I work so far from home?  Why TODAY?" 

So at this point, I'm panicking, feeling slightly ill, and fumbling for my owner's manual in the glove compartment...which, by the way, does anyone really keep GLOVES in there?  I mean really?  I've got an improperly folded map, straws and napkins from various fast food restaurants, car information, an ice scraper, a tire gauge, and the diaper duck in there, but no gloves!

OK, so I find the manual buried underneath nestled safely among the rest of the stuff in said glove compartment and start looking through the quick guide, all while driving down the road.  Thank goodness for that stop light right before I had to get on the interstate loop!  

I match the symbol I am seeing with the one in the book...the little green one right over where 110 would be...


And now you're probably laughing at me, because you probably know what it is.  And had I pressed the button that makes that little green light come on, I, too, would have known what it was, re-pressed the button, and gone on my merry way.

But oh, no!  Not me!  I had no idea that little light was the cruise control on indicator!

Oh well.  At least I could go on about my afternoon and evening as planned and not have to go visit the friendly service manager at my Toyota dealership!

Cruise control...
Sheesh...

2 comments:

Brenna said...

Merrill, you are so funny. But in your defense, I would agree with you to be concerned about lights and buttons and beeps in your car. If you haven't seen it before then you have a right to check it out.
Glad you didn't have any issues though.

Spudsnsalsa said...

Wish mine was that obvious because I use mine A LOT and often forget to turn it off!!!
Suz