Thanks for stopping by! We were a family of three, until we added one more (cat, that is), making us a family of four. In 2012, we added four more...one husband, two girls, and a dog. We have a full plate as a party of eight!

Adoption, blended families, pets, school, running...it's all here. Pull up a chair and read a while. After you do, please leave a little comment love! It makes me happy...and y'all know...if Momma is happy, then everyone is happy...at least at our house!

Monday, February 20, 2012

I am NOT Crafty!

And this post will prove it!

Gloria had a mythology book report to do for school.

OK, I can handle a book report.  I've assigned them before.  I should be able to handle this blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back.  Right?

Wrong.

Here is the description:

After reading your myth, you will choose one of the gods or goddesses from the story and create that character by using a 2 liter soda bottle as a form.  Use a ball or similar item for the head and finish with felt or fabric scraps or any additional items that you might have on hand.


Yeah, riiiiiiiight.

Now, I will be the first to say that anything Gloria has to do for school, SHE is going to do.  I will not do it FOR her.  I will help.  I will provide the materials.  I will provide encouragement.  I will follow her directions.  But I will NOT do it FOR her.  Sadly, this will not be the case when she takes it to school on Tuesday.  (I know this after last year's heritage doll assignment.)

So, how does one assemble a Greek goddess, specifically Persephone, from a 2 liter bottle, a styrofoam ball, and some other materials?  Well, here's a little peek at how we did it.

Gather the necessary materials:  soda bottle, glue, styrofoam ball, material, "sparkles," and google-y eyes...
And of course a pink feather boa!


Put hair and eyes on the "head."
This is the "decapitated muppet" phase.
See the next picture to understand the muppet reference...

Cram the styrofoam head onto the 2 liter bottle.
At this stage, the assistance of a cat is critical to the lengthening of the doll's hair!
Also at this stage, the doll begins to resemble a strange muppet character!

Glue sparkle-y jewel type beads onto the "dress"

Dress the bottle and wrap the boa around her neck to hide the rough edges.
Use Momma's lipstick to give Persephone some lips!
Raid Momma's old gold jewelry for some earrings that are no longer worn and stick them on the sides of the "head."


And there you have it, folks!

The important thing is that Gloria is satisfied with her work.
Until she takes it to school tomorrow...

Sigh...
What's an un-crafty momma to do???

Sunday Snapshot

4 comments:

Brenna said...

Pretty good. I'm not familiar with Persephone and had to Google her. Good use of the assigned materials.

Martha @ Berrybliz said...

looks pretty awesome to me!!

KERRY said...

Looks great!! She did a really good job :)

Karen said...

love it - but I have to be honest, why is this an educational activity??