Thanks for stopping by! We were a family of three, until we added one more (cat, that is), making us a family of four. In 2012, we added four more...one husband, two girls, and a dog. We have a full plate as a party of eight!

Adoption, blended families, pets, school, running...it's all here. Pull up a chair and read a while. After you do, please leave a little comment love! It makes me happy...and y'all know...if Momma is happy, then everyone is happy...at least at our house!

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Animal Adventures!

Late last week Gloria and I took off for Florida--
Specifically, the beach--
Namely Vero Beach.

I have been going to Vero (and staying at the same place) since I was 10 years old.
That's a long time...
A really long time...
Like, well, I'm not sayin' how many years...

I love it down there.
And we were going to get to spend a long weekend with my nieces, Reiny and Ashlyn.
And my mom.
Which meant a long weekend for Gloria with her cousins.
And her grandmother.

I figured I would take some pictures of the girls on the beach....
I think I managed precisely TWO of those.

Because the animal life on this trip...
Oh. My. Goodness. Gracious.

That's all I can think to say.

It started with this at a rest area in Florida...
Needless to say, we didn't stay there too long!



That afternoon while Gloria was happily playing on the beach with her cousins and my mom, I went for a walk on the beach.  The theme for this walk turned out to be birds...

A flock of pelicans kept circling and landing and floating
Circling and landing and floating
Circling and landing and floating...


OK, so the sand crab isn't a bird, but blogger isn't cooperating and I can't get it to move.
This guy was playing peek-a-boo with me from behind his protective barrier of sea weed.

This bird was walking up and down the beach in the surf, definitely on the hunt for dinner...

Only dinner was too big for him to handle...
(I threw this one back in the ocean since he was still flopping around on the sand)

Speaking of dinner, this lizard came to check out our dinner one evening when we were eating outside. He seemed intrigued, but never got too close.

On our last morning there, I got up at 6:30 to be on the beach for sunrise.
I took lots of pictures of the sun as it came up over the horizon.
It was gorgeous!
But then as I was walking back down the beach towards our motel, I encountered this...

 Yep, a shark.
And no, I did not throw him back.
Someone else did.
But he kept swimming back up and getting beached.
On the third toss he did finally swim back out in the ocean.
(I think I was glad we were not planning to swim that morning!  This would have cancelled those plans for sure!)

When I arrived back at the motel and walked into my mom's room, this next creature was pointed out to me.  I maintained my composure even though every fiber of my being wanted to run, SCREAMING, from the room.  But I didn't.  Instead, I snapped a picture and then informed everyone that I would be in MY room if I was needed for anything.

 That thing was GI-normous!!!  UGH!!

Then, that afternoon on our drive home, Gloria and I had stopped at another rest area....this time in South Carolina.  As I got out of my car and looked across the parking lot, this...
peered out of the door of his trailer.
Guess he just wanted to say hello and get a breath of fresh air before continuing on his journey.

I certainly had more than my fair share of animal adventures over the course of four days!
I was glad to find that Hannah, Screamer, and Cookie were the only animals residing at my house upon my return!

No comments: