Thanks for stopping by! We were a family of three, until we added one more (cat, that is), making us a family of four. In 2012, we added four more...one husband, two girls, and a dog. We have a full plate as a party of eight!

Adoption, blended families, pets, school, running...it's all here. Pull up a chair and read a while. After you do, please leave a little comment love! It makes me happy...and y'all know...if Momma is happy, then everyone is happy...at least at our house!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Writing Assignment


Today I had a writing assignment.  Thought I would share it with you...

If you had asked me twenty-one years ago why I became a teacher, I would have said, “Oh, because I love children!”  Today, that same sentiment is still true, but there is so much more to it than just a love of children.  I do love children.  But there is great joy to be found in working with them day to day and seeing the excitement in their eyes when they finally master that challenging math concept or realize that yes, they really CAN read that book they have been longing to read.  For me, teaching is not just presenting lessons and checking homework, writing lesson plans and reading stories.  It is my way of life.  Each year, my 18 or 23 or 27 students are at the center of my thoughts—I wake up in the morning thinking about the day ahead, with a goal of doing something that day will make tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year just a little bit better for my students.  I spend my days teaching, listening to, talking with, and loving them, and I fall into bed at night reflecting on our day together and how the next day can be better.  Am I perfect at what I do?  Far from it!  But each day is a chance to improve both myself as a teacher and my students as citizens in our classroom and in the world around them.  And that is what is so awesome about being a teacher.

1 comment:

Brenna said...

Nicely written, Merrill. I, too, enjoy my teaching career, more so with the early childhood age. I strive to offer early childhood students experiences they would not normally get when they are not in school. I present them with real, current facts and events to make them aware of the world around them.
Keep on teaching.